Herb & black pepper goats cheese
Ragdale’s herb & black pepper goats cheese
A TOMATO AND SWEET PEPPER DRESSING ENLIVENS THIS DELICIOUS STARTER
- 4 x 100g (4oz) rindless goat’s cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 2 x 125g bags watercress & spinach salad
Tomato & sweet pepper dressing:
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded & chopped
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, deseeded & chopped
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
Put the goat’s cheese into a mixing bowl and mash to a paste with a wooden spoon. Form into a log shape. Combine the chives, basil and black pepper on a large plate. Roll the goat’s cheese log in this mixture to coat it evenly. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 1 hour.
For the dressing, heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion, pepper and tomatoes, cooking over a low heat for about 6-8 minutes until softened.
Add the tomato puree and a little salt and pepper. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
Remove from the heat and cool, then puree until smooth, adding 2-3 tsp cold water if the consistency is too thick.
To serve, slice the goat’s cheese into four and arrange on plates with the watercress and spinach salad. Spoon the dressing alongside and serve immediately.