More Ragdale recipe classics
Last month we shared our recipe for our signature Atholl Brose, and the response we received was overwhelming! To help you enjoy a little slice of Ragdale in your own home, we thought we’d share some more Ragdale recipe classics, including our breakfast Banana Bread, Yukutan Chicken Salad lunchtime favourite, delicious Lemon Posset dessert, tomato and lentil soup and our gluten-free bread rolls.
We really love seeing your creations, so feel free to email your Ragdale recipe creations to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do our best to feature them on our blog!
Makes 8-12 slices
- 125g (5oz) butter, at room temperature
- 225g (8oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 125g (5oz) wholemeal flour
- 125g (5oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 400g (14oz) ripe bananas
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy – you can use a hand-held electric mixer to do this, if you like. Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sift the flours, baking powder and salt together, then fold these into the creamed mixture.
- Peel and mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher, then fold into the cake mixture. Spoon into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 40-50 minutes. To test that the cake is cooked, insert a fine skewer into the middle – the skewer should come out clean. If necessary, bake for a little longer.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 30-minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Alternatively, to make banana muffins instead, spoon the mixture into 8 large muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes.
YUCATAN CHICKEN SALAD
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 600ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- 1 large orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 lemon
- 1 bulb fennel, very thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 125ml (4fl oz) olive oil
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and very thinly sliced
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 50g (2oz) red chard or baby spinach
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Put the chicken breast into a large saucepan with the chicken stock. Cover and simmer over a gentle heat for about 30 minutes, until tender. Drain and leave to cool slightly.
- Whilst the chicken is cooling, remove all the peel and pith from the orange, grapefruit and lemon. Do this over a large bowl to catch all the juice.
- Cut the fruit into segments, removing any remaining pith, and add them to the bowl.
- Add the fennel, red onion, olive oil, chilli, paprika and cayenne pepper to the fruit.
- Slice the cooled chicken and toss gently through the mixture.
- Cover and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Just before serving, add the red chard or spinach leaves and parsley.
LENTIL AND TOMATO SOUP
- 150g lentils, washed and drained
- 30g Mirepoix (roughly chopped mix of vegetables onion, celery, leek, carrot)
- 80g tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 50ml olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Fry vegetable mix in oil, until soft but not brown (around 3/4mins)
- Add stock and bring to the boil. Add the lentils and cook for 15-minutes, then add tomatoes and cook for a further 10-minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Blend the soup mixture, add salt and pepper and serve.
- 600ml (20fl oz) double cream
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 2 large lemons, zest and juice only
- Place the double cream and the sugar into a large pan over a low heat and bring to the boil slowly. Boil gently for three minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Add the lemon juice and zest and whisk well.
- Pour the lemon cream mixture into six large serving glasses and refrigerate for three hours.
GLUTEN AND DAIRY FREE BREAD ROLLS
Makes approximately 15 rolls (enough spare to freeze)
- 1kg gluten free flour
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fresh yeast
- 600ml soya milk
- 110ml olive oil
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- Mix together the flour, sugar and salt in a mixer with a spade attachment.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a jug and add to the dry ingredients while the mixer is running until a smooth paste has been obtained.
- Pipe into greased muffin trays until 2mm below the lip and spray with water to stop from skinning.
- Allow to prove for 20 mins at room temp in a warm place.
- Bake at 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4 for 15 mins
- Allow to cool