Full of goodness: Ragdale’s vegetarian tartlet recipe
Asparagus, Mushroom & Sun-Blushed Tomato Tartlet
- 16 asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 250g (9oz) selection of exotic mushrooms
- 50g (2oz) sun-blushed tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh chives
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- For ease, 4 ready-made pastry cases, about 10cm (4 inches) in diameter. Vegan alternatives are widely available.
Cut half the asparagus spears into 5cm (2 inch) pieces, then put all the asparagus into a saucepan and cover with boiling water. Simmer for two minutes until lightly cooked. Drain well and allow to cool in cold water.
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the onion, mushrooms and sun-blushed tomatoes. Cook over a gentle heat for 3-4 minutes until softened. Remove from the heat and add the chives and the cut asparagus. Season and mix together gently.
Spoon the mixture into the pastry cases, then warm them in a low oven for 10-15 minutes. Serve, garnished with the whole asparagus.
Chef’s tip: for extra flavour, add a few drops of balsamic vinegar to the onion mixture whilst it’s cooking.