Flourless Torte Caprase (Italian chocolate cake!) recipe
For those whose baking cupboard is looking a little flourless at the moment, our chefs have shared their favourite recipe for an Italian flourless chocolate cake (and don’t worry, there is no compromise on taste here – it’s tried and tested!) so you can still get your bake on during the lockdown period.
Torta Caprase is an Italian chocolate and almond or walnut cake named for the island of Capri from which it originates, and popular in Naples. This delicious (and delightfully indulgent!) recipe will make 14 portions, so you’ll need a 12″ x 9″ baking tray approx. 2-3 inches deep .
Please share your creations with us by emailing a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your name, and we’ll do our best to feature them on our blog and social media.
Grazie, and happy baking!
450g dark chocolate
225g ground almonds
335g caster sugar
8 egg yolks (separated from the whites – keep the whites aside)
220g unsalted butter
½ vanilla pod OR 2tsp vanilla extract
- Blitz the chocolate down into small pieces.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla in a mixer until it resembles a pale light custard.
- Melt the butter and slowly add to the egg yolk mix.
- Use a spoon to fold in the chocolate and almonds into the egg yolk mixture.
- Whisk the egg whites until firm (do not over whisk).
- Fold the egg whites into the mix and pour into a lined baking tin 2-3” deep.
- Bake at 160c or gas mark 3 for 20-25 mins.
- Allow to cool, and then finish with a dusting of icing sugar and an optional side of summer berries.
As with all our recipes, be sure to check the ingredients listed for any allergens.